Forskolin (coleonol) is a labdane diterpene that is produced by the Indian Coleus plant (Plectranthus barbatus). Other names include pashanabhedi, Indian coleus, makandi, HL-362, NKH477, and mao hou qiao rui hua. It was applied as a traditional medical means for treating digestive disorders, to heal skin, to combat infections, to palliate neck stiffness and rheumatism, to induce menstruation and as an effective medicine for heart, blood and circulation conditions and even against cancer.
Weight loss and health benefits of Forskolin
Forskolin is a herb with a number of medicinal properties. It belongs to the same family as mint, and the root of the plant has been used in herbal and Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. It is thought that the root can treat a range of health conditions, including asthma, cancer, heart conditions and glaucoma. In addition, some herbal medicine proponents believe that forskolin can be used to promote fat loss.
How Forskolin Helps Weight Loss
According to the results of a study published in the “Obesity” journal in 2005, overweight men who took two doses of forskolin per day noticed a considerable increase in their muscle mass and a decrease in their body fat percentage. However, when a similar study was conducted on overweight women, such changes in body fat composition were not seen. It is worth noting however, that forskolin appeared to help prevent the overweight women from gaining additional weight.
Forskolin works by increasing the body’s natural rate of testosterone production and boosting your metabolism. Testosterone plays an important role in muscle building for both men and women. People who have higher levels of testosterone tend to be more likely to preserve muscle tissue and burn fat when they are in need of calories.
How Much Forskolin Should You Take?
The average person should take 125g which is the key concentration required for fat burning results and optimal health benefits. However, before you start, you should always consult your doctor to select individually the dosage appropriate for you.
Other Health Benefits
Forskolin is primarily used as a weight loss aid, but it also have other beneficial properties. It acts as a vasodilator, which means that it can improve your circulation, speeding up recovery times between exercise sessions and also helping to increase your vascularity; which may prove positive if you are a bodybuilder.
In addition, the testosterone boosting effects of Forskolin can help you to sleep better, giving you more physical and mental energy, making you more alert and helping to ensuring the optimal functioning of your immune system.
The beneficial power of Forskolin in weight loss is the most evident. By reducing your body fat percentage, you reduce the risk of suffering from a range of metabolic diseases, including type 2 diabetes. Your also considerably reduce the risk of experiencing a stroke or heart disease.
Forskolin is a natural supplement that offers a huge range of potential benefits you may enjoy. If you are struggling to lose fat through calorie restriction alone then it makes sense to give Forskolin a try. It causes fewer side-effects than stimulants and conventional medicine, and has proven to be effective, especially for men who are striving to lose weight.
Dietary supplements with Forskolin
The best, effective and safe dietary supplements for slimming with forskolin.
Forskolin125 ™ 125mg (30 Capsules)
Forskolin is a natural supplement, a plant related to the mint family. Recent research shows Forskolin125 ™ can help boost the breakdown of bodyfat and release fatty acids from adipose tissue. This results in increased thermogenesis, resulting in lower body fat levels and, theoretically, increased lean body mass for a tighter, leaner body. What’s even better, instead of taking multiple capsules a day, Forskolin 125 ™ is 30 capsules which is taken once per day in the morning with breakfast for the best result. According to weight loss experts, 125mg is the key concentration required for fat burning results. For the best weight loss from forskolin supplements, 125mg is all you need. Forskolin125 ™ 125mg (30 Capsules):
- A fantastic herbal metabolism booster.
- Boost your metabolism and burn fat more easily.
- Promotes the breakdown of fat cells.
- Increase thermogenesis to lose weight faster.
Forskolin 125 ™ Label
Daily intake: 1 capsules
|Ingredient||Per 1 capsules|
|Forskolin (Coleus Forskoholii root extract)||125 mg|
|Ingredients||Forskolin (Coleus Forskoholii root extract) standarised 10% (12,5 mg), Magnesium stearate,
Calcium carbonate, Gelatine capsule shell
As a dietary supplement, take one (1) capsule 10-30 minutes before breakfast.
Not suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Forskolin250 ™ Double Strength 250mg (60 Capsules)
Forskolin is a natural supplement, a plant related to the mint family. Recent research shows Forskolin250 ™ can help boost the breakdown of bodyfat and release fatty acids from adipose tissue. This results in increased thermogenesis, resulting in lower body fat levels and, theoretically, increased lean body mass for a tighter, leaner body. According to weight loss experts, 125mg is the key concentration required for fat burning results. That’s why we’re offering 250mg per capsule to enhance the results in this double strength capsule. This double strength version is also suitable for vegetarians. Forskolin 250 ™ Double Strength 250mg (60 Capsules):
- Double strength forskolin capsules.
- 250mg strength per capsule with 60 capsules.
- Suitable for vegetarians & vegans.
- Natural supplement made in the UK.
Forskolin250 ™ Label
Daily intake: 2 capsules
|Ingredient||Per 2 capsules|
|Forskolin (Coleus Forskoholii extract 20%)||500 mg|
|Ingredients||Forskolin (Coleus Forskoholii extract 20%),
Silicon cioxide, HPMC capsule shell
As a dietary supplement, take one (1) capsule 10-30 minutes before breakfast & one (1) capsule 10-30 minutes before lunch.
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Refers to both products.
Do not exceed the recommended dose. Pregnant or nursing mothers, children under 18 and individuals with a known medical condition should consult a physican before using this or any dietary supplements. Keep out of reach of children. Do not use if the inner seal is damaged or broken. Store in a cool, dry place. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied and balanced diet. This product has not come into contact with any products banned from the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
References & External links
- Dewick, Paul M. “The mevalonate and methylerythritol phosphate pathways: terpenoids and steroids.” Medicinal Natural Products: A Biosynthetic Approach, 3rd Edition (2009): 187-310.
- Huerta, M., et al. “Forskolin compared with beclomethasone for prevention of asthma attacks: a single-blind clinical trial.” Journal of International Medical Research 38.2 (2010): 661-668.
- Seamon, K. B., and J. W. Daly. “Forskolin: a unique diterpene activator of cyclic AMP-generating systems.” Journal of cyclic nucleotide research 7.4 (1980): 201-224.
- Shekelle, Paul G., et al. “Efficacy and safety of ephedra and ephedrine for weight loss and athletic performance: a meta-analysis.” Jama 289.12 (2003): 1537-1545.
- Mauriege, P., et al. “Regional and gender variations in adipose tissue lipolysis in response to weight loss.” Journal of lipid research 40.9 (1999): 1559-1571.
- Greenway, Frank L., George A. Bray, and David Heber. “Topical fat reduction.” Obesity 3.S4 (1995).
- Colforsin, DB02587 (EXPT01467) – https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB02587.
- Forskolin; Colforsin; Coleonol; 66575-29-9; Colforsina, N,N-dimethyl-beta-alanine-5-(acetyloxy)-3-ethenyldodecahydro-10,10b-dihydroxy-3,4a,7,7,10a-pentamethyl-1-oxo-1H-naphtho(2,1-b)pyran-6-yl ester HCl – https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/47936.